Customer Services Agent
The Customer Services Department provides, on behalf of airlines and aircraft operators, a handling service for their passengers. The service provided will include check in, seat allocation, baggage accounting, checking travel documentation, escort to and from the aircraft, lost or damaged property and providing assistance to special need passengers, ie; disabled, unaccompanied minors and the elderly.
The department operates a rotating shift pattern 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Each shift comprises of 1 Customer Services Supervisor, 1 Senior Customer Services Agent and Customer Service Agents. These staff numbers are increased during May-October as appropriate to deal with the increased workload resulting from summer charter traffic. Additional staff may be full or part time.
Shifts are from 0500 to 2215 daily, and these are subject to change at short notice due to operational reasons ie: delays, diversions or additional movements.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES / DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
The post holder reports to the Customer Services Supervisor or Senior Customer Services Agent in the absence of the Supervisor. The post holder has no supervisory responsibilities, however may be required to assist newly trained staff in gaining practical experience of routine procedures. The post holder will be expected to work on their own initiative and make decisions based on standard published procedures or in the interest of customer service, efficiency or safety.
Airport Operations Director
Customer Services Manager
Customer Services Supervisors
Senior Customer Services Agents
Customer Services Agents
MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Checks in passengers and baggage, using manual and computer systems, in accordance with airline procedures, and in compliance with DFT, IATA and CAA Directives.
- Escorts boarding and disembarking passengers in compliance with the requirements of statutory bodies, ie; HM Customs, HM Immigration, Police and Special Branch.
- Prepares all documentation in compliance with DFT, IATA , CAA and airline requirements.
- Deals promptly with Property Irregularity Reports and instigates tracing action for mis-routed baggage.
- Liaises with other agencies: Flight Dispatch, Security, Ground Services and the Fire Service to ensure on time departures are achieved.
- Completes and dispatches all relevant documentation including ticket coupons, as required by the airline or operator to their appropriate addresses.
- Airport Management with Airport/Airline emergency procedures as published in the relevant manuals.
- Completes appropriate documentation, handling of monies, credit cards and unique payments as applicable.
- Provides assistance to all passengers to the highest standard of customer service at all times, especially in the event of delays, cancellations and diverted flights.
- To undertake any other task commensurate with the responsibilities and level of this post as reasonably requested.
ASSIGNMENT OF / SOURCE OF WORK
The main source of work is generated by airlines / aircraft operators using Norwich International Airport who request handling assistance for passengers travelling on their flights.
These operators may be scheduled, charter or private service providers using fixed or rotary wing.
CONTACTS AND RELATIONSHIPS
Contact with a wide variety of departments at the airport including: Security, Ticket desk, Information desk, Ground Services, Flight Dispatch, Fire Service, Cleaners and Caterers.
Also liaises with other airport management in the absence of a more senior member of staff within the department
External contacts include: Airline operators, Courier Services, Tour Companies, Hotels, Coach Companies and Taxi services.
Also contact with the Police, Special Branch, HM immigration and HM Customs officers.
Qualifications / Education
- Good basic education standards to GCSE level, especially English and Maths with a second language being advantageous.
- Full clean Driving Licence.
- Dealing with the public, in a customer service related position.
- Airline or Travel and Tourism experience/ studies preferred.
- Check-in procedures – both manual and automated.
- Carriage of Dangerous Goods by air.
- Fire Extinguishers – implementation of emergency procedures.
- Fire Safety – training on a regular basis.
- Security Questioning of passengers – Category 7 DFT
- Security Awareness – training on a regular basis.
- Customer Care.
- AOA Apron Driving Permit.
Aptitude / Skills
- Ability to deal with the public.
- Extremely well presented and of smart appearance.
- Good oral and numerical skills.
- Highly motivated.
- Neat hand writing.
- Extremely flexible.
- Ability to remain calm and methodical in stressful situations.